ANDERSON M D Birds of the Orange River Estuary and Surrounding Area. Bright Continent Guide #5, 2006.
Describes the avifauna of the zone between the linear oasis of the river and the coastal region 92 pp with maps and bw illustrations. Mint in softcover. #729
KEYWORDS:South Africa West Coast Namaqualand
ANDERSON T A ED Hidden Splendour. N Cape Wildlife & Environment Society of SA, 1998 1st ed. 0620230312
Short guide to the natural history of the Kalahari and its surrounds, which encompasses an area bounded by Upington, Hotazel, Prieska and Warrenton 76 pp with maps and colour illustrations. Good condition in softcover. #931
KEYWORDS:Northern Cape Kalahari Bushmanland
BODEN B P Some Marine Plankton Diatoms from the West Coast of S Africa.. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Africa Vol XXXII part 4, 1950.
Specialist contribution on marine biology. 321-434 pp with dwgs.. Good condition in wraps. #380
KEYWORDS:South Africa West Coast Hydrobiology
BRIGHT K F M The S African Intertidal zone and its relation to Ocean Currents: An area on the Southern and Northern part of the West Coast.. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Africa Vol XXVI part 1, 1938.
Hydrobiology of intertidal zones near Oudekraal and Port Nolloth in Namaqualand. 49-89 pp with bw illustrations and maps.. Good condition in wraps. #382
KEYWORDS:South Africa West Coast
BROWN A C Notes on the Estuary of the Orange River. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Africa Vol XXXV part V, 1958 repr.
Contribution on the ecology of this important feature of the West Coast and Namaqualand 464-473 pp with dwgs. Good condition in wraps. #384
KEYWORDS:South Africa Namaqualand Estuaries
BRUNDRIT G B & ROGERS J EDS Proceedings of the Symposium on the Flood at the Orange River Mouth 1988 under the Auspices of the Royal Society of SA. Transactions of the Royal Society Vol 47 Part 3, 1990.
Multidisciplinary investigation of the effects an uncommon event on the sediments, biota and coastal current of the West Coast.
1) BUNDRIT G B & ROGERS J – Introduction
2) SWART D H, CROWLEY J B, MOELLER J P & DE WET A – Nature and Behaviour of the Flood at the River Mouth
3) BREMMER J M, ROGERS J & WILLIS J P – Sedimentological Aspects of the 1988 Orange River Floods
4) MORANT P D – Some Observations on the Impact of the March 1988 Flood on the Biota of the Orange River Mouth
5) SHILLINGTON F A, BRUNDRIT G B & LUTJEHARMS J R E – The Coastal Current Circulation Duirng the Orange River Flood 1988
6) BRANCH G M, EEKHOUT S & BOSMAN A L – Short-term Effects of the 1988 Orange River Floods on the Intertidal Rocky Shore Communities of the Open Coast 217-358 pp with colour frontis, bw illustrations and diags. Very good condition in wraps. #367
KEYWORDS:South Africa Namaqualand Oceanography Biology Sedimentology Ocean Currents
BURRAGE B R Comparative Ecology and Behaviour of Chamaeleo p. pumilus and C. namaquensis.. Annals of the S A Museum, 1973.
Behavioural studies of South African arboreal and ground-dwelling chamaeleons, the latter found extensively in the arid regions of Namaqualand. 158 pp with bw illustrations. Mint condition in wraps. #431
KEYWORDS:South Africa Herpetology
CARWARDINE M Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises. Dorling Kindersley, 1995. 0751310301
A visual guide to all the cetaceans of the world, which include those found round the west coast of South Africa 255 pp, lavishly illustrated in colour, with distribution maps and diagrams. Very good condition in stiff card covers with dw. #984
KEYWORDS:World West Coast
COHEN C & SPOTTISWOODE C Essential Birding – Western South Africa. Struik, 2000 1st ed.
All the best birding sites in the Western Cape, from Cape Town to the Kalahari 136 pp with colour illustrations and maps. Very good condition in softcover. #620
KEYWORDS:South Africa Western Cape Kalahari Namaqualand Bushmanland Ornithology
COWAN G I ED Wetlands of South Africa. Depratment of environmental affairs and Tourism, 1995. 0621168173
A review of the most important wetlands of the subcontinet. Includes data on the Orange River estuary, Verlorenvlei and Langebaan lagoon. Much about the fauna and flora found in these important sites. 292 pp with maps, dwgs, diagrams and bw photos. Good condition in A4 softcover.. #974
CRONWRIGHT-SCHREINER S C The Migratory Springbucks of South Africa. T Fischer Unwin, 1925 1st ed.
The author describes the phenmenon of the Trekbokke from personal experience in the Prieska region, as well as including contributions on the subject by T B Davie, Sir J G Fraser, D Livingstone and W C Scully in Bushmanland. There is also a contribution on the natural history of the ostrich, and one on the Zambesi Falls. 140 pp with bw plates and ads at end. In original hardcover, somewhat worn, light foxing throughout, o/w good condition. #512
KEYWORDS:South Africa Karoo Bushmanland Springbuck Migration
CUSTOS Custos, Feb 1999 – Westcoast National Park. National Parks, 1999.
The issue is concerned mainly with the West Coast National Park and the opening of the Geelbek centre. English/Afrikaans text. 60 pp with colour illustrations. Good condition. #390
KEYWORDS:West Coast Langebaan National Park
CUSTOS Vloed bereik Aughrabies. Custos, 1988.
Article on floods at the Aughrabies falls National Park in 1988. 23-. Good condition. #403
KEYWORDS:South Africa Gordonia Bushmanland
DAY J H The Biology of Langebaan Lagoon: A Study of the Effect of Shelter from Wave Action.. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Africa Vol XXXV part V, 1958 repr.
Paper on the effect of shelter from wave action on the marine environment and the fauna. 475-547 pp with diags. Very good condition in wraps. #383
KEYWORDS:South Africa West Coast
EVETT K ED Our Coast for Life. Project Co-ordination, no date. 0620331429
An overview of the ecological situation, conservation and extraction of the marine biota along our coasts. Specifically articles on fishing, tourism, mining and protected areas along the west coast. 256 pp with colour illustrations.. Good in hardcover. #977
FITZSIMONS V Notes on a collection of reptiles and amphibians made in the Southern Kalahari, Bushmanland and great and little Namaqualand.. Tvl Museum Annals Vol XV part IV, 1935.
. 519-550 pp. Mint in wraps. #424
KEYWORDS:South Africa Namaqualand Herpetology
GILLHAM M Salt Wind from the Cape. Lazy Cat, 2005.
A natural history of plants and animals of the West Coast and its islands, by a British ornithologist. Contains a number of errors, misspellings and typos. 261 pp with very informative dwgs by the author. Good condition in softcover, sgd by author. #776
KEYWORDS:South Africa West Coast Namibia Southern Cape Islands
HARRISON A D ET AL Hydrobiological Studies on the Great Berg River, Western Cape Province. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Africa Vol XXXV part III, 1958.
Papers on different aspects of the biology of the Berg River estuary on the West Coast
1) HARRISON A D & ELSWORTH J F – General Description, Chenical Studies and Main Features of the Flora and Fauna
2) HARRISON A D – Quantitative Studies on Sandy Bottoms, Notes on Tributaries and Further Information on the Fauna, arranged Systematically
3) SCOTT K F M – The Chironomidae
4) HARRISON A D – The Effects of Organic Pollution on the Fauna of Parts of the Great Berg River System and of the Krom Stream, Stellenbosch 126-329 pp with bw illustrations and diags. Good condition in wraps. #369
KEYWORDS:South Africa West Coast Estuaries Hydrobiology
JURY M ET AL Proceedings of a Symposium on Upwelling Processes in the Southern Benguella Region held at UCT on 13 February 1981under the auspices of the Royal Society of South Africa. Transactions of the Royal Society Vol 44 Part 3, 1981.
A number of contributions on the upwelling processes in the Benguella Current, and its widespread effects on the biology of the region.
1) JURY M – Coastal Winds and Upwelling
2) NELSON G – Upwelling Plumes
3) BRUNDIT G B – Upwelling Fronts in the Southern Benguela Region
4) VAN FOREEST D – Modelling Physical Processes in Upwelling
5) JARMAN N G & CARTER R A – The Primary Producers of the Inshore Region of the Benguela
6) NEWELL R C – Role of Decomposers in the Inshore Region of the West Coast
7) GRIFFITHS C L – Grazers and Filter Feeders in the Nearshore Zone of the Southern Benguela System
8) POLLOCK D E – Carnivores of the Inshore Region of the Benguela Upwelling System
9) BROWN P C – Pelagic Phytoplankton, Primary Production and Nutrient Supply in the Southern Benguela Region
10) HUTCHINGS L – Pelagic Zooplankton, Research in the Southern Benguela Region
11) SHELTON P A – Research on Pelagic Fish in the Southern Benguela Region
12) COOPER J – Pelagic Birds and Mammals of the Southern Benguela Region
13) POLLOCK D E & BEYERS C J de B – Environment, Distribution and Growth Rates of West Coast Rock Lobster 299-400 pp with dwgs diags and maps.. Good condition in wraps. #368
KEYWORDS:South Africa West Coast Oceanography Meteorology Zoology Biology
LOVEGROVE B The Living Deserts of Southern Africa. Fernwood Press, 1993 1st ed.
An intensely readable account of the wonders of wildlife in the deserts of the region 224 pp illustrated lavishly in colour. Mint condition with dw, sgd by autor on tp. #726
KEYWORDS:South Africa Botswana Namibia Namaqualand
MACDONALD J D Contribution to the Ornithology of Western South Africa. Trustees of the British Museum, 1957.
The author led a six-month long expedition to study the avifauna of Namaqualand and Namibia 1949-50 174 pp with map and bw plates. Good condition in wraps. #752
KEYWORDS:West Coast Namaqualand Namibia Ornithology
MAIN M Kalahari. Southern, 1987 1st ed.
A work covering the entire natural history of this large arid region, which stretches from the Orange/Gariep River to the Congo. 265 pp with numerous colour plates and maps. Excellent condition with dw. #74
KEYWORDS:NW Cape Namibia Kalahari Angola
MANNING J Namaqualand. Ecoguide Briza, 2008.
Guide to flora mainly, but also geology, fauna and history of the region 128 pp with colour photos. Mint condition in softcover. #801
KEYWORDS:West Coast Namaqualand Bushmanland
MARSHALL H & MOMMSEN B Field Guide to the West Coast. National Botanical Institute, 1994 1st ed.
A little guidebook which introduces the whole spectrum of the West Coast ecosystem to the nature enthusiast. 135 pp with dwgs. Good condition in softcover. #244
KEYWORDS:South Africa Western Cape Botany Zoology
METHUEN P A & HEWITT J Results of the Percy Sladen Memorial Expedition to Great Namaqualand 1)Zoology 2) Reptilia & Batrachia 3) Arachnida 4) Solifuga. Tvl Musem Annals Vol IV, part 3, 1914.
Although the animals described are generally from Greater Namaqualand, ie Namibia, many occur in Little Namaqualand as well and the Percy Sladen Expedition encompassed parts of the region south of the Orange/Gariep during its travels. 54 pp plus bw illustrations. Ex library copy, fair condition in wraps. #292
KEYWORDS:South Africa Namibia Namaqualand
METHUEN P A, ROBERTS A & HEWITT J The Percy Sladen Memorial Expedition to Great Namaqualand 1912-13, Mammals; Reptiles & Batrachia; Arachnids.. Annals of the Transvaal Museum, 1914.
The zoological work done by the expedition en route to the Karasberg Mountains in Namibia. pp113-167 with bw illustrations. Good condition. #234
KEYWORDS:South West Africa Namibia Namaqualand Mammals Reptiles Arachnids
MILLIARD N A H & SCOTT K F M The Ecology of Milnerton Estuary and the Diep River.. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Africa Vol XXXIV part II, 1954.
Describes the topography, physical & chemical characteristics as well as the fauna and flora of this estuary north of Cape Town. pp 279-324 with maps and diags.. Good condition in wraps. #372
KEYWORDS:West Coast South Africa Hydrobiology
ODENDAAL F & SUICH H Richtersveld – the Land and its People. Struik, 2007. 9781770073418
The author has used his extensive experiences in the region, as film-maker and researcher, to bring this portrait of this mountain-desert and its denizens 168 pp with colour illustrations. Good condition in small quarto softcover. #892
KEYWORDS:South Africa Namaqualand Richtersveld
PALMER R W Biological and Chemical Control of Blackflies in the Orange River. Water Research Commission, 1995.
Describes the life cycle of this insect pest and the control measures that have been applied. 106 pp with diags. Good condition in wraps, but ex library copy. #131
KEYWORDS:Namaqualand Cape South Africa Diptera Entomology
RAUTENBACH L L & NEL J A J Mammal Diversity and Ecology in the Cederberg Wilderness Area. Transvaal Museum Annals Vol 32 part 5, 1980 1st ed.
Mammal incidence in this montane region of Namaqualand. 24 pp. Mint condition in wraps. #279
KEYWORDS:South Africa Namaqualand Cederberg Mammals
SCHRAUWEN J ED West Coast – a Circle of Seasons in South Africa. Struik Winchester, 1991 1st ed.
A fine anthology of contributions on various aspects of the natural history and history of the arid West Coast from Cape Town to the Orange River. 204 pp with numerous colour photos by Peter Pickford.. Fine condition, collectors’ edition no 19, halfbound in blue goatskin with marbled boards and matching slipcase. Slipcase has slight insect damage. #333
KEYWORDS:South Africa West Coast Namaqualand Sandveld
SHORTRIDGE G C 2) Field notes on the First and Second Expeditions of the Cape Museum’s Mammal Survey of the Cape Province and descriptions of some new Subgenera and Subspecies.. Annals of the SA Museum Vol XXXVI part 1, 1942.
Mammal survey covering Karoo, Namaqualand, Bushmanland and Gordonia. pp 27-100 with bw plates. Very good condition in wraps. #432
KEYWORDS:South Africa Namaqualand Bushmanland Kalahari Mammals Biography
SHORTRIDGE G C A New Genus and New Species and Subspecies of mammals from Little Namaqualand and the NW Cape Province. Annals of the S A Museum Vol XXXII Part IV, 1938.
Descriptions of a number of new mammals found in the region; includes bats, an elephant shrew, golden moles and several rodent species. pp 281-291. Mint condition in wraps. #528
KEYWORDS:South Africa Namaqualand Mammals
SIEGFRIED W R ED Proceedings of a Symposium on Research in the Natural Sciences at Saldanha Bay and Langebaan Lagoon, held at Saldanha Bay, February 1976 under the Auspices of the Geological Society of South Africa, Royal Society of South Africa & Zoological Society of Southern Africa.. Transactions of the Royal Society Vol 42 Parts 3 & 4, 1977.
Multidisciplinary report on this important Ramsar site on the West Coast.
1) HEY D – Introduction to the Proceedings of a Symposium on Research in the Natural Sciences at Saldanha Bay and Langebaan Lagoon
2) FUGGLE R F – A Review of a Symposium on Research in the Natural Sciences at Saldanha Bay and Langebaan Lagoon
3) AXELSON E – A Summary of the History of Human Settlement at Saldanha Bay
4) BIRCH G F – Phospohorites from the Saldanha Bay Region
5) BOUCHER C & JARMAN M L – The Vegetation of the Langebaan Area, South Africa
6) CHRISTIE N D & MOLDAN A – Distribution of the Benthic Macrofauna in Langebaan Lagoon
7) DU PLESSIS A & DE LA CRUZ M A – Geophysical investigations in Saldanha Bay
8) DU PLESSIS A J – Larval Development, Settlement and Growth of the Black Mussel Choromytilus meridionalis in the Saldanha Bay Region
9) FLEMMING B W – Distribution of Recent Sediments in Saldanha Bay and Langebaan Lagoon
10) GRINDLEY J R – Zooplankton of Saldanha Bay and Langebaan Lagoon
11) HENDEY Q B & DEACON H J – Studies in Palaeontology and Archaeology in the Saldanha Region
12) HENRY J L, MOSTERT S A & CHRISTIE N D – Phytoplankton Primary Production in the Langebaan Lagoon and Saldanha Bay
13) HEY D – Conservation Management and Human Pressures in the Saldanha Region
14) PUTTICK G M – Spatial and Temporal Variations in Inter-tidal Animal Distribution in Langebaan Lagoon, South Africa
15) SHANNON L V & STANDER G H – Physical and Chemical Characteristics of Water in Saldanha Bay and Langebaan Lagoon
16) SIMONS R H – The Algal Flora of Saldanha Bay
17) SUMMERS R H – Distribution, Abundance and Energy Relationships of Waders (Aves: Charadrii ) at Langebaan Lagoon
18) WILLIS J P, FORTUIN H H G & EAGLE G A – A Preliminary Report on the Geochemistry of Recent Sediments in Saldanha Bay 209-509 pp with bw illustrations and diags. Very good condition in wraps. #366
KEYWORDS:South Africa West Coast
SKEAD C J Historical Mammal Occurrence in the Cape Province. Cape Dept Nature Conservation, 1982 2nd imp.
Valuable book in that the author traces mammal occurrences through travellers accounts in bygone days. This volume deals with the Western and Northern Cape 903 pp. Fine condition in hardcover. #789
KEYWORDS:South Africa NW Cape Mammalogy Namaqualand West Coast
SKINNER J D ET AL The Kalahari Colloquium. Royal Society of SA Transactions Vol 53 (2), 2000.
A number of articles on the ecology and zoology, as well as anthropology and tourism of the region pp 85-307 with diags, maps and bw illustrations. Mint condition in wraps. #731
KEYWORDS:South Africa NW Cape Kalahari
VAN DER WALT P Aughrabies Splendour/Augrabies Weelde. Privately Published, 2000.
History and natural history of this National Park. and the Riemvasmaak area. Gives a good geological overview, as well as the flora of the region. A special in-depth section covers lizard population dynamics, as Aughrabies is one of the densest-populated areas in the world from that aspect. Available in English or Afrikaans 73 pp with colour illustrations and diags. Very good condition in softcover. #498
KEYWORDS:South Africa Bushmanland Gordonia Herpetology Geology Botany
VENTER F A Werfjoernaal. Tafelberg, 1970 5th imp.
The author traces the passage of the seasons in a drought year on his farm in arid Bushmanland and writes of the animals that cross his path . Part natural history, part memoir. 157 pp. Good condition with dw. #259
KEYWORDS:South Africa Bushmanland Farming Memoirs
WINTERBOTTOM J M A List of the Birds of the Clanwilliam District. Percy Fitzpatrick Institute of Ornithology, 1963.
Checklist of the birds of the region. 24 pp. Good condition in wraps. #400
KEYWORDS:South Africa Namaqualand Ornithology
WINTERBOTTOM J M List of the Birds of the Vanrhynsdorp District. Percy Fitzpatrick Institute of Ornithology, 1966.
Checklist of the birds of the region. 18 pp. Good condition in wraps. #399
KEYWORDS:South Africa Namaqualand Ornithology
WINTERBOTTOM J M & COURTENAY-LATIMER M A List of the Birds of Little Namaqualand. Percy Fitzpatrick Institute of Ornithology, 1961.
Checklist of the birds of the region. 46 pp. Good condition in wraps. #401
KEYWORDS:South Africa Namaqualand Ornithology